Work From Home and Make $1,000+ a month Writing Short Story Romance
These days, everyone is looking for a side hustle. Mom’s want to work from home and make money. And the easiest and least expensive way I have found to do that is to write short story romance.
What is Short Story Romance?
Short Stories range in word count of 1,500 to 30,000. However, I have found that you can put out more stories if you keep it at under 10,000 words per book. Most of my books are 5,000 to 7,500 words. To start writing, you want to decide what type of romance story you want to write. My suggestion to you would be to write the type of story that you like to read. Romance stories can basically be broke down into 4 categories. You can read more about the different types HERE! (Because I get asked all the time, I write Steamy Romance).
Can You Start with 0 Followers on Social Media and 0 on Your Email List?
YES, you can! You don’t need a big following to be successful! Of course it helps if you do, but if you are just starting out, you are not going to have a following – yet! I didn’t!
- I started with 0 followers on Social Media.
- I started with 0 subscribers to my email list.
- Plus, I didn’t want my family or friends to read my books, so I didn’t have anyone to help boost my sales!
This did not hurt me at all! Honestly, I have since created a Facebook page but I hardly update it. Horrible, I know! But I’m being honest! You CAN DO THIS without a big following or email list!
How Long Does It Take to Make $1,000+ a Month?
I don’t want to make this seem easy. It’s not. Like anything, you have to be willing to put the work in for it to be successful!
I published three books my first month (January 2018). I published three books my second month (February 2018). And I published six books my third month (March 2018). In March, some of those books were bundles. A bundle is when you combine some of your books already published and market them as three stories for one price.
How much money you will make can vary, but by my 3rd month of publishing I was making over $1,000 a month. Don’t believe me? Check out my Payment Dasboard from Amazon KDP:
* Please note the sales period is the month the books were sold, the Date is when I received payment, and Payout Amount is total money I received for that Sales Period.
I started making over $1,000 by my third month of publishing! And I promise you, If I can do it, you can too!
Do You Want To Work From Home and Start Making $1,000+ a Month?
So maybe you love to read romance stories and have always thought, I can do that! Well, you can! That’s exactly how I started! I LOVE reading romance and always wanted to write. I would get started on writing the next best love story and get sidetracked because of how long it was taking. Then I discovered short story romance! The rest is history.
Here are my top tips for getting started:
Tip 1: READ the kind of stories you want to write
- Take notes on what you like and don’t like?
- How does the author space out the story?
- What does the cover look like?
- Which point of view is the story written?
- Determine the niche you like to read
Tip 2: Outline Your Story
- Write a brief outline about what is going to happen in your book!
Tip 3: Start Writing (This is the MOST IMPORTANT)
- I can spend hours, or even weeks, researching. The most important thing you need to do is start writing… and keep writing!
Tip 4: Add a “Subscribe to” Link in your Book
- Start building your list and add a Subscribe link in the back of all your books
- Email your list every time you have a new release!
Tip 5: Design an Awesome Book Cover
- You don’t have to spend hundreds of dollars on a GORGEOUS BOOK COVER! I purchase stock photos and then use my book cover templates I created in CANVA! (Really inexpensive and looks great, too!)
Tip 6: Edit, Keywords, and Publish
- Edit your book. Fix any grammatical errors or typos.
- Research the best Keywords for your book. There is a long way and a short way to do this!
- Upload your book and Hit Publish!
Tip 7: Keep Writing
- Be consistent. Keep writing and putting your books out there!
Tip 8: Learn from your Reviews!
- Take notes, as your reviews start rolling in! Revise and fix what you can in future books!
- I was getting great reviews on my books, however I did get a few 1’s and 2’s because of editing. So I started going through my books more extensively to find errors. I have since then hired an editor. Make sure you try your best to put out error free books!
- I also received negative reviews that said my story was too short, they wanted it to be longer! I love getting this review in a way because they want to read more! But hey I’m a short story writer, this is what we do!
What are you waiting for?
- Get started today and be on your way to making $1,000+ a month!
- Do you have trouble getting started? Or do you have a question for me? I am working on a course to help other new authors and would love to know your questions! Please send me an email or comment below. I would love to help you!